Chickens part 7

First major wound of the project today!


I always spill blood some how when doing a project, I think my body/mind considers it a ritual to bless its long life (not mine however.) This is why, when using a Stanley knife to shave the frilly bits off of a piece of wood (the spurs left from where the saw cuts it) you should wear gloves. Do note, that I didn’t just do this once on that finger but twice. First time, not too bad, I thought

I’ll be safer from now on.

…So I did it again…

Right, back to the building and less of the moronic actions of a pleb.

All side bit completed, all I needed to do was build the door. I had estimated it at 1.8m I. With, but I forgot to take into account the width of the wood and the jutting out roof of my garage. So this then became 1.65m wide. Which is still adequate for the chickens and saves me on wood.

The back piece was easy, it’s was the same as the shorter side. The harder partway the front end, as I had to make a door.

There are a few things to consider when building a door:

-Size: How wide and tall do you need it? (I went for house door size)
– Hinges: How many, how long, how strong? (For me, the hinge should be at least a quarter of the doors width, longer if its heavier. Always go for bigger if your not sure.)
-Lock: latch, key, lever? ( this is your preference, I went for a latch as chickens can’t open it…I hope)
– Supports: diagonal, corner or none (depends on how much wood, time and secure you want it, I went for. Prettiness and symmetry though.)

I had some left over bits of wood from cutting the top and bottom planks (0.75m long) which made a perfect door width. Like the sides, I braced them together, but with a middle beam for support as well as the corners.add chicken wire and voila, a door. 3 hinges, top middle and bottom. Latch in the middle.

All the main pieces completed, all I have left to do,is full clear the area (turning the soil, checking for anything dangerous to the chooks) and screw together. Then the roof…sigh.